In the Autumn of 2020, Bright Club Ireland, the variety night uniting academic research and comedy, will fund two comedians / performers to develop material related to COVID-19 and the current pandemic, in collaboration with academic researchers working in these areas.
Given the urgent relevance that science communication has taken on in the past 4 months, this initiative aims to share knowledge about real solutions with the public in a way that makes them feel empowered, engaged and positive about science and society in a pandemic. We recognise that this is a tall order, but also feel that comedy has a unique ability to connect surprising ideas with humanity and meaning. The quality of work generated for our previous open call on the topic of climate change was outstanding, and we believe in our comedy and performance community to find worthwhile and funny things to say about the new normal.
Two grants worth €250 will be awarded to two performers willing to develop a 10 minute set related to this topic. A series of collaboration meetings will be organized with a researcher to inform the material developed.
- Engage in a minimum of one collaboration session with a researcher. Bright Club will pair performers with researchers and arrange an initial collaboration session. The successful applicant must use the content from this meeting to inform their material and review their draft material with their research partner.
- Be available to perform the developed material in Dublin on October 20th 2020.
- Be based primarily in the Republic of Ireland.
To apply, please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 15th of August 2020:
- Your name, a clip up to 15 minutes in length of you performing, and any examples of other previous related work.
- A 100 word description of why you are interested in this project and why you think you are a suitable candidate.
We are looking for performers who are interested and can demonstrate an ability to present complex topics in an engaging and thought provoking way. Comedy as well as other performance and art styles will be considered. Preference will not be given to acts who have performed previously at Bright Club.
Successful applicants will be paid €250 on completion of this project, i.e. after their live performance on October 20th. Travel expenses incurred will also be covered. At all times, Bright Club will follow HSE advice on live events as well as the requirements of our venues so it is possible that this event will be delivered online instead of in person.
The closing date for submissions is the 15th of August 2020. Please send all queries to email@example.com.