In the Autumn of 2022, Bright Club Ireland, the variety night uniting academic research and comedy, will fund two to four comedians / performers to develop material related to philosophy and what it all means, in collaboration with academic researchers working in this area.
Given the re-evaluation of societal norms and daily life prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic, philosophy and its guidance on how to live is more relevant than ever. Questions of meaning in the face of suffering have long been fodder for comedy, and Bright Club is keen to connect professional researchers in philosophy with performers to create comedy that will help illustrate surprising ideas with humour and humanity. The quality of work generated for our previous open calls on the topics of climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic was outstanding, and we believe in our comedy and performance community to find laughs in even the most difficult topics.
Two to four grants worth €250 will be awarded to performers willing to develop a 10 minute set that communicates some element of philosophy. A series of collaboration meetings will be organized with philosophers to inform the material developed.
- Engage in a minimum of one collaboration session with a researcher. Bright Club will pair performers with researchers and arrange an initial collaboration session. The successful applicant will use the content from this meeting to inform their material and review their draft material with their research partner.
- Be available to perform the developed material in Dublin on October 18th or November 22nd 2022.
- Be based primarily in the Republic of Ireland.
To apply, please send the following information to email@example.com by the 22nd of July 2022:
- Your name, a clip up to 15 minutes in length of you performing, and any examples of other previous related work.
- A 100 word description of why you are interested in this project and why you think you are a suitable candidate.
We are looking for performers who are interested and can demonstrate an ability to present complex topics in an engaging and thought provoking way. Comedy as well as other performance and art styles will be considered. Preference will not be given to acts who have performed previously at Bright Club.
Successful applicants will be paid €250 on completion of this project, i.e. after their live performance in the autumn. Travel expenses incurred will also be covered.
The closing date for submissions is the 22nd of July 2022. Please send all queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.